Safety Tips for Walkers
- Always walk on the sidewalk.
- If there is no sidewalk and you have to walk in the road, always walk facing traffic, so you can see any car that might go out of control.
- Dress to be seen. Brightly colored clothing makes it easier for drivers to see you during the daytime. At night, you need to wear special reflective material on your shoes, cap or jacket to reflect the headlights of cars coming towards you.
Tips for Crossing the Street
- Cross only at corners or marked crosswalks.
- Stop at the curb, or the edge of the road.
- Stop and look left, then right, then left again, before you step into the street.
- If you see a car, wait until it goes by. Then look left, right and left again until no cars are coming.
- If a car is parked where you are crossing, make sure there is no driver in the car. Then go to the edge of the car and look left-right-left until no cars are coming. Keep looking for cars while you are crossing, and remember, walk. Always walk.