- As a general rule, firefighting should be left to the fire department.
- Only adults who know how to use portable fire extinguishers should use them.
- Before trying to fight a fire, make sure that everyone is leaving the house, someone is calling 9-1-1, the extinguisher is mounted on the wall close to your way out, the fire is not bigger than a small wastepaper can and you can get out.
- Inspect portable extinguishers monthly and have them serviced annually.
- Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for placement and mounting height.
- As a general rule, portable fire extinguishers for the home should have a rating of at least 2-A:10-B:C.